Integrating Debian or Debian-based Linux clients (e.g. Ubuntu) into a Data Protector cell could be a pain, if you have more than a bunch of them. Patch rollout and release upgrades will even take more time if you poke around with alien to convert the Data Protector rpm into deb format. There are some simple requirements that will allow you to leverage Data Protector Push installation method for Linux/UNIX even for Debian-based distributions:
- Name resolution work from client to IS and client to CM plus the other way around (DNS preferred)
- /etc/services must not contain any definition for 5555/tcp
- The packages xinetd and rpm must be installed
- root SSH login must be enabled on the client using public keys
- Use FQDN for all operations on CLI and GUI
With that information in mind, we can do the required modifications to our Debian 6.0 client and push the Data Protector Disk Agent (DA) to the system when ready.
- Check for Debian and kernel version running (for your reference only)
root@decm01:~# /bin/cat /etc/debian_version 6.0.5 root@decm01:~# /bin/uname -a Linux decm01 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Sun May 6 04:00:17 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux
- Check if the port 5555/tcp is not blocked by any entry other than omni (looks good on Debian squeeze)
root@decm01:~# /bin/grep 5555 /etc/services rplay 5555/udp # RPlay audio service
- Installation of required packages for Data Protector push installation on Debian client
root@decm01:~# /usr/bin/apt-get install xinetd rpm
- Allow password-less access to Debian system using SSH: command is run from prepared UNIX IS
[root@deis01 ~]# /usr/bin/ssh-copy-id -i /root/.ssh/id_dsa.pub decm01.syncer.de 21 The authenticity of host 'decm01.syncer.de (192.168.25.150)' can't be established. RSA key fingerprint is df:97:00:b2:62:33:1d:1e:fc:57:f7:94:bb:c5:f7:ba. Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes Warning: Permanently added 'decm01.syncer.de,192.168.25.150' (RSA) to the list of known hosts. email@example.com's password: Now try logging into the machine, with "ssh 'decm01.syncer.de'", and check in: .ssh/authorized_keys to make sure we haven't added extra keys that you weren't expecting.
- Now try the remote installation from UNIX IS to new client (DA only in my case)
[Normal] Starting installation session on Dienstag, 14. August 2012, 20:24:54... [Normal] Getting list of clients for installation... [Normal] Connecting to client decm01.syncer.de... [Normal] <decm01.syncer.de> Checking for response from system decm01.syncer.de. [Normal] <decm01.syncer.de> Using secure shell protocol to connect to clients ... [Normal] Client decm01.syncer.de (Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64) OK. [Normal] <decm01.syncer.de> Starting installation/update for client system decm01.syncer.de at... [Normal] <decm01.syncer.de> Installing Core Component [Normal] <decm01.syncer.de> Installation of Core Component succeeded. [Normal] <decm01.syncer.de> Installing Disk Agent [Normal] <decm01.syncer.de> Installation of Disk Agent succeeded. [Normal] <decm01.syncer.de> Update of client system decm01.syncer.de completed. [Normal] Installation session finished on Dienstag, 14. August 2012, 20:25:02. ============================================================================ Session completed successfully! ============================================================================
- If the client is imported to cell automatically, everything is fine. Verify if the rpm files are installed and the service responds to requests locally
root@decm01:~# /usr/bin/rpm -qa OB2-DA-A.06.20-1.x86_64 OB2-CORE-A.06.20-1.x86_64 root@decm01:~# /usr/bin/telnet localhost 5555 Trying 127.0.0.1... Connected to localhost. Escape character is '^]'. HP Data Protector A.06.20: INET, internal build 403, built on Fri Jun 15 23:33:35 2012 Connection closed by foreign host.